49 People Killed In Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

49 People Killed In Mosque Attacks In New Zealand

Forty people have been killed and more than 20 seriously wounded in mosque attacks in New Zealand.

The shootings, which took place at two mosques in Christchurch, have been described by New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as one of the country’s ‘darkest days’.

Authorities are calling it an unprecedented act of violence.

Witnesses told local media survivors ran for their lives past people bleeding on the ground outside the Al Noor mosque, in the centre of the city located on the east coast of New Zealand’s South Island.

The first report of an attack came from this mosque, which is opposite Hagley Park, and most details have come so far from eye-witnesses.

The attacker reportedly targeted the men’s prayer room in the mosque, then moved to the women’s room.

One witness told TV New Zealand:

What I did was basically just waiting and praying, God please, let this guy run out of bullets.

He came to this side, he shot this side, he went to another room and went to the ladies’ section and shot them.

I just heard one of the ladies has died.

A Palestinian man, who did not wish to be named, told AFP:

I heard three quick shots, then after about 10 seconds it started again – it must have been an automatic, no one could pull a trigger that quick.

Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood.

Footage taken by one shooter has emerged, which he appears to have live-streamed as he shot victims in a mosque. Police called on the public not to share the ‘extremely distressing’ material online.

Facebook said it had removed the shooter’s Facebook and Instagram accounts as well as any support voiced for that crime.

A second mosque in Christchurch, in the suburb of Linwood has been evacuated, and Police Commissioner Mike Bush said ‘multiple fatalities’ were recorded at two locations.

Authorities said they had responded to ‘a number of IEDs (explosive devices) attached to vehicles, that we also stopped’.

All mosques in the city have been advised to shut down until further notice, as armed police have also been seen at Papanui High School in Christchurch, which is cordoned off.

Three men and one woman are in custody, Bush has confirmed, but warned more suspects may be at large. It is not yet known how many shooters were involved in the atrocity.

Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said one of those arrested was an Australian citizen.

He described the suspected attacker as an “extremist right-wing violent terrorist”, who is believed to have written a manifesto outlining his intentions.

In it, he espouses far right and anti-immigrant ideology.

Multiple casualties have been brought to Christchurch Hospital, where there is a heavy police presence.

Police have also cleared Cathedral Square, where thousands of children had been holding a rally for action on climate change, reports the BBC.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said:

Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high.

Police recommend that residents across Christchurch remain off the streets and indoors until further notice.

Our thoughts are with all affected.