Joan Collins escapes ‘terrifying’ fire in her London apartment

Joan Collins escapes ‘terrifying’ fire in her London apartment
Actress Joan Collins escaped a “terrifying” fire in her London apartment over the weekend.
The Golden Globe-winning actress was treated for smoke inhalation but otherwise escaped unscathed — thanks to her keen nose and quick-thinking husband, Percy Gibson, the rep said.
“They were both in the apartment. Joan smelt some smoke, and Percy went out to investigate. They discovered that the guest suite was on fire,” her rep told People magazine. “Percy had two of those fire extinguishers in the apartment, so he rushed in to start putting the fire out, and Joan called for the fire brigade to come. Percy really saved the day. He was the one who put the fire out and took control until the fire brigade arrived.”
Percy Gibson and Joan CollinsDave Benett/Getty ImagesSaturday’s incident left the “Dynasty” actress and her hubby “shaken up and distressed,” but they were doing better Sunday, the rep said.
The blaze erupted around 4:30 p.m. local time, according to the BBC. It consumed much of the room, leaving behind charred and peeling walls, according to a video of the aftermath Collins, 85, posted to Instagram.
“The remains of the day,” she captioned the video.
It took about 10 firefighters around an hour to bring the conflagration under control, the BBC reported.
Collins took to Twitter to heap praise on first responders.
“THANK U from the bottom of my ❤️ to the marvelous @LondonFire who attended to the terrifying fire yesterday in our flat. #threealarmfire My hero Percy had already doused the flames consuming the entire wall with handheld extinguisher (#donttakethisrisk). #gratitude #firefighters,” she wrote.
“And thanks also to the @NHSEnglandLDN #nhs #emt #Ambulance crew who took care of our smoke inhalation and comforted me. And the wonderful @metpoliceuk who kept the street closed and everyone safe. #gratitude.”

Share this: