As Netflix grips everyone with The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the shocking case about the missing girl is once again at the forefront of everyone’s minds. The eight-part documentary attempts to shed some light on the three-year-old’s suspected abduction and the events that followed.
In May 2007, Madeleine McCann went missing from Portugal’s Pria da Luz. While her younger siblings were left behind, the authorities started one of the world’s biggest manhunts to look for Maddie following her abduction. For a time though, Kate and Gerry McCann were suspects, with some claiming they’d killed their own daughter and made it look like an abduction.
Whatever your thoughts on the McCann’s, a list of questions that Kate McCann refused to answer has appeared online. The transcript comes from September 2007, just months after Madeleine vanished from a holiday apartment. Although the list is nothing new, it has started doing the rounds after The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann made its way onto the streaming service.
According to The Independent, the extensive police files were made public in 2008. This particular conversation comes from an 11-hour grilling between Kate McCann and the Portuguese police. When the authorities officially named her as a suspect, Kate refused to answer a number of questions.Netflix
She was reportedly asked 49 questions but would only answer one. Here’s what she WOULDN’T talk about.
1. On May 3, 2007, around 22:00, when you entered the apartment, what did you see? What did you do? Where did you look? What did you touch?
2. Did you search inside the master bedroom wardrobe?
3. (Shown two photographs of her bedroom wardrobe) Can you describe its contents?
4. Why was the curtain by the sofa near the side window tampered with? Did someone go behind the sofa?
5. How long did your search of the apartment take after you detected Madeleine’s disappearance?
6. Why did you say Madeleine had been abducted?
7. Assuming Madeleine was abducted, why did you leave the twins to go to the ‘Tapas’ and raise the alarm? The supposed abductor could still be in the apartment.
8. Why didn’t you ask the twins then what happened to their sister or why didn’t you ask them later on?
9. When you raised the alarm at the ‘Tapas’ what exactly did you say – what were your exact words?
10. What happened after you raised the alarm there?Netflix
11. Why did you go and warn your friends instead of shouting from the verandah?
12. Who contacted the authorities?
13. Who took place in the searches?
14. Did anyone outside the group learn of her disappearance in those following minutes?
15. Did any neighbour offer you help?
16. What does “we let her down” mean?
17. Did Jane Tanner tell you that night she’d seen a man with a child?
18. How were the authorities contacted and which police force was alerted?
19. During the searches, with the police there, where did you search for Maddie, how and in what way?
20. Why did the twins not wake up during that search or when they were taken upstairs?Netflix
21. Who did you phone after the occurrence?
22. Did you call Sky News?
23. Did you know the danger of calling the media, because it could influence the abductor?
24. Did you ask for a priest?
25. By what means did you divulge Madeleine’s features, by photographs or by any other means?
26. Is it true that during the searches you remained seated on Maddie’s bed without moving?
27. What was your behaviour that night?
28. Did you manage to sleep?
29. Before travelling to Portugal, did you make any comment about a foreboding or a bad feeling?
30. What was Madeleine’s behaviour like?
31. Did Maddie suffer from any illness or take any medication?
32. What was Madeleine’s relationship like with her brother and sister?
33. What was Madeleine’s relationship like with her brother and sister, friends and school mates?
34. As for your professional life, in how many and which hospitals have you worked?Netflix
35. What is your medical speciality?
36. Have you ever done shift work in any emergency services or other services?
37. Did you work every day?
38. At a certain point you stopped working. Why?
39. Are the twins difficult to get to sleep? Are they restless and does that cause you uneasiness?
40. Is it true sometimes you despaired at your children’s behaviour and it left you feeling very uneasy?
41. Is it true that in England you even considered handing over Madeleine’s custody to a relative?
42. In England, did you medicate your children? What type of medication?
43. In the case files, you were shown canine forensic testing films. After watching them, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?
44. When the sniffer dog also marked human blood behind the sofa, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?
45. When the sniffer dog marked the scent of corpse coming from the vehicle you hired a month after the disappearance, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?
46. When human blood was marked in the boot of the vehicle, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?
47. When confronted with the results of Maddie’s DNA, carried out in a British lab, collected from behind the sofa and the boot of the vehicle, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?
48. Did you have any responsibility or intervention in your daughter’s disappearance?
McCann claims that she wouldn’t co-operate because she thought questioning her was taking the police away from their work in finding her daughter. To this day, no one knows what really happened to Madeleine McCann, and chances are, we’ll never truly know.
With both Kate and Gerry always denying their involvement in what happened to Madeleine, they are no longer suspects in the case. Although it’s been scaled back from its initial search, the hunt for Madeleine McCann and any insight to what happened that fateful night is ongoing.
[Featured Image: Netflix]