Her Son, Richie, Tragically Died At 24 From An Accidental Gunshot Wound
Sadly, for as much joy and laughter as Mary Tyler Moore brought us from her decades in comedy, her personal life was filled with several terrible tragedies. In 1995, Moore's son, Richie, tragically passed away from an accidental gunshot wound.
As Us Weekly reported, Richie was loading and unloading a small .410 shotgun when it went off unexpectedly, killing him instantly. The weapon was known for its hair-trigger; it was later taken off the market for that reason. It was only two years earlier when Moore's sister passed away from a drug overdose. Additionally, in her memoir, After All, Moore detailed an earlier incident in 1992 where Moore helped her terminally-ill brother try to commit suicide by feeding him ice cream laced with a deadly overdose of drugs. This attempt ultimately failed, but her sibling died from the disease three months later.