The decision not to move to the originally scheduled Phase 4 was agreed on Tuesday evening.
Pubs will not reopen on 10 August, as the government made a decision on Phase 4 on Tuesday.
Pubs who can't serve a substantial meal, as well as nightclubs, hotel bars and casinos, had been due to open from 20 July, but a decision to delay the reopening until 10 August was made a number of weeks ago.
But as of Tuesday's announcement, they will all remain closed until a later date, at least three weeks in the future.
Gatherings of up to 500 people outdoors will not be permitted, following rumours that significantly more people would be allowed attend GAA and League of Ireland matches from next Monday.
The number of people who can attend indoor gatherings (such as weddings) has not been increased, so it will remain at 50.
It was also announced that face coverings will be mandatory in shops and shopping centres from 10 August on.
Five countries were removed from the green list - Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino, while no countries were added to the green list.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said: "I wish I was in a position to share better news today - but I am not.
"International experience shows that pubs and nightclubs lead to increased transmission - that would be the very worst thing to happen to this country."
Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said during the day that the government would be taking a "cautious approach" over the next period, following a rise in cases around Ireland and the rest of Europe.
He said: "We want to make sure we do nothing to jeopradise the opening of schools and colleges in the next couple of weeks."